Poll

We had a lot of problems with Ubuntu's "patching everything" policies, specially with Karmic. Would it be ok for you if we switch to Debian for next iso releases?

Yes, Debian is better.
77 (86.5%)
No, please stay with Ubuntu.
4 (4.5%)
I don't care, it's ok in any case.
8 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: OpenGEU's future and Ubuntu vs Debian  (Read 28052 times)

darkmaster

OpenGEU's future and Ubuntu vs Debian
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:28:59 am »
So we have a situation. For this release we had to work a lot, really a lot, on the iso, because of problems with Ubuntu Karmic. Ubuntu is going in a strange direction: it not only uses experimental features like XSplash, but often they choose to patch entire pieces of code just to make it work, specially when building the iso. To customize it we really had an hard time for Quarto di Luna, believe me, it never seemed to reach an end.

In the future we'll have bigger problems too: reconstructor is dead, well, not really, but it's gone online with an unusable payment method for every upload / download you make. Try and see for yourself! If we had to build a future release using reconstructor we'd have to pay a lot of money, keep in mind that this iso has been built for something like 30 times before we reached an usable point!!

In Debian there are some really good things to consider if we'll use Debian as we imagine: very updated software, more than Ubuntu actually, fresh and stable system, not fully patched and slowed down like Ubuntu... and no workarounds. What does it mean for you? Please read this BEFORE VOTING:

• Ubuntu packages for OpenGEU will always be maintained and distributed, so Ubuntu users will have no problems at all.
  • Only the iso will switch to Debian, meaning various things:
  • We'll have more freedom handling releases: this doesn't mean that releases will happen once every century, it means that we won't waste time making an iso for 9.04 and then having to start all over with 9.10 loosing double the time, as it happened with this release.
  • Debian has an automated tool to customize the distro, faster and better than reconstructor: we'd be able to release isos faster.
  • We're not going to drop any tools we use right now: we'll develop new tools so that, even if based on Debian, OpenGEU will still be as easy as Ubuntu, switching to Debian doesn't mean having an harder time configuring things.
  • We'll be able to fully use some nice modules like Exalt, the E network manager: we cannot use it in Ubuntu, it conflicts with Network Manager, which sucks in reality...
  • The whole development cycle is different: your distro, after installation, will be fully supported for a very long time! A new iso will be released every once in a while with updates and all, specially based on progress from Enlightenment. My idea would be that of releasing a new iso with every E snapshot if possible.
  • As I already said, Ubuntu packages will always be created and compatibility with Ubuntu will be granted anyway, so if u prefer Ubuntu u can download it and install OpenGEU from packages... though, honestly, since we promise you that you won't notice any difference in usability, I'd stick with the main release (Debian) if I where in you
  • Did I already say that OpenGEU will become cleaner, faster, harder, stronger (cit.) and that it will always be very edgy with the latest packages and updates from Debian?

So, basically, since we do what people wants, the question is.... is it ok for you if we make the mainstream OpenGEU version based on Debian since now on? Enlightenment is not being officially released anytime soon.. and we won't become an official Ubuntu variant in any case due to this problem, for now. I already tell you, I'll vote for Debian ;)
This migration will, in any case, take some time if we decide to do it. Maybe it will not be in time for the next Ubuntu, we'll have to create some tools from scratch to make you feel at home or convert Ubuntu tools to make them work with Debian (like Ubiquity for example)...
Make your choice please! Any comment is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:39:45 am by darkmaster »

Offline elastic

Re: OpenGEU's future and Ubuntu vs Debian
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46:59 am »
Hey great news - the result of my vote: Debian Sid 10 points!  ;) - never liked the Ubuntu way ...

Sidux XFCE on Samsung x20 Notebook and Linux4One light on Acer Aspire One 110L

Kralizec

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:33 am »
CIao

I'm not an expert , but Darkmaster explanation is very clear and have convince me . Vote Done for Debian 

itchynet

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:44:55 am »
I wish I could do something to help but...

You make a compelling argument, one vote for the move to Debian.

rex303

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:15 am »
go for debian.

First Age

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:12:02 am »
Further to some recent decisions by the Ubuntu team and a desire to 're-Enlighten' my desktop I have found this distro again and delighted to see the progress. Your suggested move sounds sensible to me, though I am not the best informed, so please do what you think best to move everything forward. There's a good chance that I will be looking to do a clean install of OpenGEU soon.

darkmaster

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:09 am »
Thank u to everyone for the great input already! From what I can see right now, it looks like people will just be happier with Debian :)
Go on please :)
I wish I could do something to help but...

You make a compelling argument, one vote for the move to Debian.
Anyone who cannot help directly: don't worry, this is helping too. Simple things u can do to help are:
  • take care of the article in wikipedia
  • upload nice opengeu themes using Geutheme, so that our themes base becomes bigger :)
  • promote OpenGEU! Blog about it, digg our news, subscribe to the facebook group, etc!
  • if u like our work, donate! ;)

these are not marginal things! Consider in how many easy ways u can help and just go on :)

verdegal37

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:11 am »
Well , voted Debian! ;D.
I use Debian + E17 and the performance is perfect.
I sincerely believe it would be very good for OpenGEU, use Debian.

Greetings:
Agust

gibz85

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:48:36 am »
Nice got my vote... This will get me to try Debian ...

verdegal37

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »
Hello to all , Debian + OpenGEU , look like this. :o 8).

http://www.divshare.com/download/10306400-d17

Greetings:
Agust

Shakey

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »
Debian ...  :)

darkmaster

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:00 pm »
Hello to all , Debian + OpenGEU , look like this. :o 8).

http://www.divshare.com/download/10306400-d17

Greetings:
Agust
Very nice Agust! Would u mind uploading that as an openGEU theme with geutheme?

verdegal37

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( was a surprise!!  ;D.
When finished I put the theme to download.
Theme called "OpenWhiteGeu" , original eh!!! :P ;)

Greetings:
Agust

torpex505

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:02:50 pm »
+1 for Sid.  I'll take Debian over Ubuntu any day.

***Dumb question here...***

Will OpenGEU keep its name or will it change to OpenGED or OpenGES in light of this potential change?

Runaway1956

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »
I have not strong preference, and I voted accordingly.

You have made me curious, with your statement that Debian is faster.  I hadn't given it any real thought - now I'll have to test.

Things to think about, huh?  Thanks!

Sponsor -> Günstige Soirée Robes de Cérémonie