Author Topic: Mac OSX Port  (Read 80170 times)

pfy

Re: Mac OSX Port
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:51 pm »
Mypaint compiles & works here (with issues).

Steps required to get it working:

1) install mac ports

2) select python version, version 2.5 seems to be stable enough in macports
sudo port install python25 python_select
sudo python_select python25

3) install required python modules
sudo port install py25-numpy py25-gtk scons swig-python protobuf-python25

4) optional: install xserver from macports (doesn't help with the tablet pressure issue)

sudo port install git-core

git clone git://gitorious.org/mypaint/mypaint.git

apply this patch
 (fixes the symbols not found issue)

run scons (will complain that it doesn't find numpy, because its hardcoded to python26 aaarg .. replace the shellbang of /opt/local/bin/scons from python26 to python)

run scons again ;)

# i don't know why i have to do this ?
cd lib ; mv _mypaintlib _mypaintlib.so

run it !

./mypaint

It works for me, although the pressure sensor in the wacom tablet is not working ! Any ideas ?

Offline slug45

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »
Good news!

Are you running 10.6 or 10.5? And does mypaint needs X11 (xserver maybe)?

If it needs X11, I think 10.5's X11 doesn't support pressure, 10.6's X11 does. If u're using 10.5, you could try installing Xquartz and then running mypaint from a xquartz console, that's what I had to do to get pressure support with gimp time ago when I used 10.5.

Apple's X11 has a weird bug, I don't know if it is solved yet, when drawing, the lines u draw aren't smooth, drawing a curve is like drawing lines; but pressure works.

Thanks and Good luck!.

mikeb

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:54 am »
Hi,

Success:
Was successfully able to substitute python 2.6 versions of the compilation instructions posted above on Snow Leopard (10.6.2) to compile and run mypaint.
I appear to have working tablet pressure.

Issues:
The lines drawn are pretty blocky/linear and not smooth like the linux version. Also I get unwanted stray lines drawn from the first point of contact that shoot off in various directions.

But, it does indeed run on Snow Leopard,  Very Cool. I've been wanting to use Mypaint on OSX since last spring so this is very encouraging. Perhaps I'll work on a "Cubist" period of painting.
hehe.

UPDATE:
I was able to get better drawing results by modifying the global pressure settings and adjusting the slow position tracking settings for various brushes. Still not perfect, but much better

Cheers,

Mike
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:42:54 am by mikeb »

Offline maxy

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 09:32:23 am »
I have pushed most of the patch above into the git master branch: http://gitorious.org/mypaint/mypaint/commit/8371b7b5c

Offline slug45

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
Sucess!. Mypaint 0.8.1 on 10.6.2, python 2.6. Thanks everyone!

jonnor

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »
Now if anyone is able to package this up in something easy-to-install for Mac users (a mypaint.app??), I know that you would make many people very happy; we've had several thousand visitors to the website using Macs just since the start of 2010.

Offline slug45

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 06:24:49 pm »
For now, the colorpicker doesn't work, and the program crashed after playing with it for a while :(.

jonnor

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 06:52:16 pm »
Just give us good error descriptions and logs, and we'll do our best to fix any issues.

Offline slug45

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 08:06:56 pm »
Sure, this is what I got when I run mypaint from terminal:

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-kEAbsg/org.macosforge.xquartz:0".
confpath = /Users/slug/.mypaint/
Warning: Where have all my icons gone?
Theme search path: ('./desktop/icons', '/Users/slug/.icons', '/Users/slug/.local/share/icons', '/opt/local/share/icons', '/usr/local/share/icons', '/usr/share/icons', '/opt/local/share/pixmaps', '/usr/local/share/pixmaps', '/usr/share/pixmaps')
/Applications/mypaint/lib/helpers.py:93: DeprecationWarning: PyArray_FromDimsAndDataAndDescr: use PyArray_NewFromDescr.
  arr = pixbuf.get_pixels_array()
Setting screen mode for "pen"
Ignoring "cursor" (probably wacom mouse device)
Setting screen mode for "eraser"

About the Colorpicker, when using control + left click, the colorpicker preview keeps showing the black color and it doesn't pick the color (maybe because of "Ignoring "cursor" (probably wacom mouse device)"? ).

Oh, I didn't add the xserver port, maybe is a must.

Thanks.

jonnor

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:25 pm »
I meant when there is a crash. The log you posted there looks just fine, it does not indicate that anything is wrong.

Does the color picker work when you use it from the gtk color selector window? Or when pressing "r"?

Offline slug45

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:01 pm »
Sorry, I had to force quit it, it didn't crashed, it froze. If I get a crash report I'll post it.

The color picker doesn't work at all. I tried the "r" shortcut and the picker from the gtk "color triangle" dialog, and it always picks up the black color.

Thanks.

rocwiff

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 01:27:41 am »
Hello. I've been trying to build v0.8.2 under OSX using the above mentioned patch but i'm running into problems. It seems to build ok, but when I try to run it I get...
$ /opt/local/bin/mypaint ; exit;

We are not correctly installed or compiled!
script: "/opt/local/bin/mypaint"
deduced prefix: "/opt/local"
lib_shared: "/opt/local/share/mypaint/"
lib_compiled: "/opt/local/lib/mypaint/"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/local/bin/mypaint", line 112, in <module>
    datapath, confpath, localepath = get_paths()
  File "/opt/local/bin/mypaint", line 62, in get_paths
    from lib import mypaintlib
  File "/opt/local/share/mypaint/lib/mypaintlib.py", line 25, in <module>
    _mypaintlib = swig_import_helper()
  File "/opt/local/share/mypaint/lib/mypaintlib.py", line 17, in swig_import_helper
    import _mypaintlib
ImportError: No module named _mypaintlib
logout

[Process completed]

I'm thinking that it's just not referencing the correct path to "_mypaintlib" which resides in /opt/local/lib/mypaint. Anyone have any ideas as to why it might be referencing the wrong path and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to get mypaint working under OSX ;)

Edit: Nevermind that part. I missed the last part about renaming _mypaintlib to _mypaintlib.so. It runs now, but it doesn't seem to paint anything onto the canvas. Any ideas?
Edit: Ok, nevermind! Just had to disable the global pressure settings for the mouse to work for painting on the canvas. Probably would have worked fine with a tablet. I'll do some more testing and report back on what works and what doesn't. Anyway, I got mypaint v0.8.2 running under OSX 10.6.2!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:06:46 am by rocwiff »

rocwiff

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »
Ok, after some testing, I can confirm that the color picker is not working properly (only selects black no matter what color you are trying to select). This is both from the canvas with the "R" key and from the color triangle. Colors can be manually selected with the color triangle, but not with the color picker. I can also confirm the problem with the stray lines while using a drawing tablet and pen. It seems to want to connect the trailing end of the previous stroke to your next stroke in sort of a connect the dots fashion. Adjusting the global pressure settings does eliminate this for the most part, but this is not perfect and only a band-aid solution to the problem. Also, when mypaint is first launched the mouse will not function as far as painting onto the canvas goes, until you disable the global pressure settings. It seems to work fine later when you set it back to "screen". This is an issue only when using a mouse and doesn't affect tablet input. Well, that's all for now. If I come across any other issues I will post them here. Hopefully someone will work on these OSX issues and release an app package so we don't have to build mypaint from scratch anymore. If I knew how to program I would do it myself, but unfortunately, I do not. :(

jonnor

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

It's probably not our fault, but I've filed the color picker issue here: https://gna.org/bugs/?15566
Could you please try to pick something not-on-the-canvas with the picker from the gtk colorwheel? Things like the desktop background, native OSX applications, MyPaints menues/dialogs. Does that also just pick black or what?

"Ghost lines issue" is tracked here: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?13622

And you don't need to know how to program to package something, so thats no excuse ;)

rocwiff

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »

It's probably not our fault, but I've filed the color picker issue here: https://gna.org/bugs/?15566
Could you please try to pick something not-on-the-canvas with the picker from the gtk colorwheel? Things like the desktop background, native OSX applications, MyPaints menues/dialogs. Does that also just pick black or what?

"Ghost lines issue" is tracked here: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?13622

And you don't need to know how to program to package something, so thats no excuse ;)

Hmm.. I'll try to test the color picker in the manner you suggested a bit later today when I have some free time and report back. I'd love to help the mac OSX port along any way I can. As for the OSX packaging, I was just assuming I needed to know a little about programming to be able to package it up properly. Hmm.. do you have any ideas as to the best method for packaging this up for OSX? With Xcode or maybe something like Py2app? Just trying to get an idea where to start. Maybe if it's not too difficult to figure out I can put something together after all. :)

Sponsor -> Günstige Soirée Robes de Cérémonie