Author Topic: is there a scissors-tool in my paint ?  (Read 4694 times)

Offline robozo

is there a scissors-tool in my paint ?
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:58 pm »
hello everyone

is there a scissors-tool in my paint, so i can cut out and isolate parts of the drawing?

thanks and greetings

robozo

Offline idragosani

• Composer and Animator
    • Website
Re: is there a scissors-tool in my paint ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:12 pm »
Nope, MyPaint doesn't support any of the usual "image manipulation" operations you'll find in GIMP, which is by design.

Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
---------------------------------------------------
Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 12.10 : Cintiq 21UX

Offline robozo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
too bad, mypaint is a good freeware programm for my HP 2730 tablet pc with pen. is there any other good freeware programm that gives you a good pen support, gimp is not usable..

Offline idragosani

• Composer and Animator
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:54:44 pm »
Depends on what you want to do. MyPaint is specifically designed for digital sketching and painting with have a very simple interface. It intentionally doesn't have any of the image and photo manipulation features, filters, scripting, 2D effects, etc. that you will find in GIMP.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
---------------------------------------------------
Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 12.10 : Cintiq 21UX

Offline robozo

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:09:46 am »
Depends on what you want to do. MyPaint is specifically designed for digital sketching and painting with have a very simple interface. It intentionally doesn't have any of the image and photo manipulation features, filters, scripting, 2D effects, etc. that you will find in GIMP.

the problem is that if you use with a tablet pc and pen input, it turns out a terrible line. all shaky...

Offline Pesho

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »
Nope, MyPaint doesn't support any of the usual "image manipulation" operations you'll find in GIMP, which is by design.

With all due respect, that design sounds stupid. If the MyPaint brush engine gets ported to GIMP, there will be no reason to use this. Making selections is one of the most basic operations for an image editor.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:41:52 pm by Pesho »

Offline maxy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:27 pm »
Well, MyPaint isn't really an image editor, it's for creating not for correcting. You might prefer Krita then (http://krita.org/), which aims to support the full workflow.

Offline Pesho

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:51:25 am »
Krita doesn't work on Windows.

I have a question - if MyPaint isn't supposed to be an image editor, how do the developers decide what kind of features to add in the future versions? Surely one would hit a wall after most of the basic sketching and painting facilities are present. You could easily say that an eraser brush or layers are a "correcting tool" that shouldn't be there and doesn't fit the design - where do you draw the line?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:53:13 am by Pesho »

Offline Grant M

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »
Install Ubuntu as a dual boot, get Krita from the software center, and you're all set. And if you still want to use MyPaint, it runs better through Linux.

Offline Pesho

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:16:44 pm »
Install Ubuntu as a dual boot, get Krita from the software center, and you're all set. And if you still want to use MyPaint, it runs better through Linux.

I'm not going through the process of migrating all my data, repartitioning my hard drives and then installing an entire operating system just to try out some paint program i might not even like. And neither is the majority of Windows users. Please think about that. It's this type of mentality that assumes the majority of users will know how to (or would bother to) download source and compile the app for themselves.

Offline Grant M

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »
It's very simple to do & there is no migration of data necessary. I'm a windows user as well and VERY non tech savvy. If you demand to have these features, you're better saving your lunch money up & buying photoshop.

This program is a FREE project by Maxy & others who spend their time implementing features THEY want in THEIR program. We as users are extremely fortunate to have wonderful FREE programs like these to test & use for nothing at all.

Being snotty & demanding isn't going to get anything accomplished in the way of development. If MyPaint doesn't fulfill your personal needs, make a suggestion, then hope they add it. You need to be patient though. This is a free time endeavor. Everyone involved have to work real jobs to pay the bills.

Offline Pesho

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
It's very simple to do & there is no migration of data necessary.

It's not like i haven't installed and used Ubuntu before, i know what im talking about.

If you demand to have these features, you're better saving your lunch money up & buying photoshop.

Not really, GIMP has had these for a long time. I thought it would make sense to add some basic selection capability like every other application (as in, even mspaint) has.

This program is a FREE project by Maxy & others who spend their time implementing features THEY want in THEIR program. We as users are extremely fortunate to have wonderful FREE programs like these to test & use for nothing at all.

A lot of people who defend opensource software end up pulling the "it's free" card. Don't get me wrong, it's not like i don't appreciate it being free, but that doesn't automatically make it perfect either. The "it's free" arguement is just a way to cover your ears against any sort of criticism. I'd donate a few bucks to help get the features i want, which aren't really that many.

Being snotty & demanding isn't going to get anything accomplished in the way of development. If MyPaint doesn't fulfill your personal needs, make a suggestion, then hope they add it. You need to be patient though. This is a free time endeavor. Everyone involved have to work real jobs to pay the bills.

The suggestion is already there at the beginning of the thread - add a selection feature. I'm patient enough. But saying "it's like that on purpose" sounds like a half-assed excuse to me. If that's considered snotty then i'm guilty.

Offline Grant M

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »
GUILTY! The possible solutions for you are all in the thread here. I give up, as this forum is not for arguments. Just for ideas & solutions.

Farewell

Offline Pesho

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:32:13 pm »
GUILTY! The possible solutions for you are all in the thread here. I give up, as this forum is not for arguments. Just for ideas & solutions.

What solutions? "Go away and use something else." - that is the solution? It's the biggest bunch of bullshit i've heard in years. Can an actual developer please step up and give me a coherent response?

Offline maxy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »
The idea is to focus MyPaint development on a few key use cases, so the program is actually good at what it does.

Pesho, calm down. We are not trying to sell you anything. And we are not stupid, either - of course selection tools would be better for users than no selection tools. But you are seeing only the user's point of view, you seem to know little about the motives of the developers. You will have to consider those motives a lot more if you want to understand volunteer-developed free software.