Author Topic: no pressure MyPaint-1.0, XP, Wacom Bamboo CTL-470/K  (Read 15135 times)

Offline renejan

no pressure MyPaint-1.0, XP, Wacom Bamboo CTL-470/K
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
Hi, I don't seem to have 'pressure sensitivity' (input debug window confirms this). I am using MyPaint 1.0, Windows XP, Wacom bamboo CTL-470/K. I don't experience the same issue with Photoshop CS3 i.e. pressure sensitivity works ok for the same OS and input device.

I am fairly new to MyPaint, the input mode is set to 'screen', is there an enable switch for pressure sensitivity perhaps?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Offline flynsk

Re: no pressure MyPaint-1.0, XP, Wacom Bamboo CTL-470/K
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:22:27 pm »
Hmm. 1.0 has been updated since the initial relase, so be sure you have the latest version.
Though, in my experience, it was working in xp even before the update.

You could try going into control panel and clearing your prefererences. I'm not sure how it works in bamboo, but it helps in some programs with the intuos line. You might want to reboot. There's also the trick of clicking on the program with the stylus, not the mouse, if that's how you usually open the program. that makes a difference in some cases.

Good luck.

Offline maxy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
No there is no additional "enable pressure" switch, except that the mode must be "screen" as you already got it. In addition, you may have to plug in your tablet before starting mypaint, not after. Also, it may help to upgrade the wacom driver.

Offline renejan

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

With regards to the latest 1.0 release, I downloaded the binary yesterday (Dec first 2011) so I assume that I have the latest.

I also downloaded the latest wacom drivers, so that should be covered.

I use the pen to start mypaint from the Windows' start menu

I did a reboot and that did not help unfortunately.

Just wondering if this is a bamboo issue, this tablet has 1024 levels  of pressure, but I am not familiar with its API (is it the same as the API for the Intuos tablet??).

Would be nice if somebody with a bamboo Wacom tablet can check for pressure sensitivity perhaps?! May justify a bug report perhaps if this is confirmed by a second person. Otherwise I am not sure what else I could do.

With clear preferences I take it that you mean resetting the Wacom preferences to its defaults? I have done that too, otherwise feel free to let me know what your suggestion entails.

BTW I really like MyPaint, thanks to the people who wrote the software!!

Offline maxy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:24 am »
Hm... I'm just testing a bit on my Windows laptop (Vista). Intuos3 (PTZ-630) pressure works. Graphire (CTE-430) pressure works. Bamboo Pen&Touch (CTH-461) pressure does not work - neither in MyPaint, nor in SAI, nor in GIMP.

Offline renejan

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:16:20 pm »
Thanks for trying MyPaint on the Bamboo Maxy, interesting to read that SAI and GIMP show the same behaviour. I also have an Intuos3 (it is in storage right now so I can't try it) which I used on an older version of MyPaint and it worked fine (i.e. pressure sensitivity was working correctly).

Just wondering if the Wacom API for bamboo is different than for the Intuos tablets?

As I mentioned before Photoshop CS3 and Painter IX are showing proper pressure sensitivity on my Bamboo tablet.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here e.g. Is this worth a bug report perhaps?

PS Would be great to get the bamboo working in conjunction with MyPaint since it is a relatively cheap tablet and an open source paint program i.e. economic advantage over say Intuos + PS. Just my 2 cents

Offline wgan

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »
1.0 pressure not working on my graphire 3 (32bit xp + 5.05-5 wacom driver)
it worked back at 0.9x version of mypaint though

Offline maxy

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »
MyPaint uses all tablet support through GTK+, which, I think, uses wintab on the Windows platform. I have never looked at the Wintab API, but I would be very surprised if GTK+ did use a completely different mechanism for the Bamboo than for all other Wacom tablets...

Offline maxy

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »
We need a Windows section in http://wiki.mypaint.info/Development/Debugging_Tablet_Issues maybe more people would be able to help debugging then, instead of just reporting "it doesn't work".

Offline maxy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »
PS Would be great to get the bamboo working in conjunction with MyPaint since it is a relatively cheap tablet and an open source paint program i.e. economic advantage over say Intuos + PS. Just my 2 cents

If "economic advantage" is what you're after, you can use Linux instead of Windows, this saves you 100 for the OS and the Bamboo works there, too ;-)

Offline maxy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:16 pm »
I reinstalled old and new wacom driver versions, restarted several times, got back to the latest wacom drivers, and this is the result:

Neither my Graphire nor my Bamboo have pressure in MyPaint now, however the Intuos still works. In SAI, it depends... sometimes the Bamboo has pressure, sometimes it doesn't. Same for the Graphire. However, the Intuos always works. In TwistedBrush, pressure always works for all three devices. Crazy world...

Update: now Bamboo pressure suddenly works in MyPaint. I think it's always working when I have plugged in the Intuos at the same time, when I remove the Intuos USB and restart MyPaint, the Bamboo pressure doesn't work any more. Maybe I have just discovered Wacom's secret plan to sell more Intuos? ;-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:23:19 pm by maxy »

Offline renejan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:21:34 am »
Thanks again Maxy for investigating this issue further. Interesting to read about your "Intuos plugged in" findings. Nevertheless there seems to be an pressure sensitivity MyPaint issue with just the Bamboo being plugged in. Unfortunately I am not in a position to debug this (I am traveling for a while). When I have a chance I will submit a bug report (unless somebody suggests something else?)

PS With regards to economics... yes I agree Linux is even a more economic solution, I have used it for many years (professionally and privately) and it is great. In this particular case however I also need Photoshop :-( hence the reason why I am using Windows.

Offline maxy

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:19 am »
I'm especially curious if an old version of the wacom driver (and wintab) maybe works... I haven't systematically tried the old versions, and I'm a bit confused about the different drivers that wacom offers.

I have done half a day GTK+ debugging. I know now that when GTK+ lists the available tablets/cursors it does see the Bamboo. It ignores it because of physid=0, but even when I comment this condition, GTK+ still does not seem to receive any Wintab events after initialization.

Offline renejan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
Thanks heaps Maxy for debugging the code, very much appreciated, you seemed to be onto something considering that the physid=0. You are saying that you commented out that particular statement and that it does not make any difference (I hope I understood that correctly). What about giving the physid variable another valid value perhaps?

When I have a chance I will try to down load a previous version of the Wacom driver, I can't promise that I will do that today or tomorrow though due to other commitments. I will keep you posted.

Offline Andreu

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »
Hi! My first post here. MyPaint is great!
Unfortunately, I don't have any pressure sensitivity here either. Mac OS 10.7.2, Mac mini 2011, Intuos PTK-440. Can't wait for this to be taken care of :)
Edit: I just checked the wiki, and it says very clearly that pressure is not yet implemented on the Mac build, so please disregard my message. I'll just wait :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:15:32 pm by Andreu »